Friday, January 20, 2023

A New Color Combination for Jigs



While working on some white bass flies recently, I wanted to tie some jigs that I could use when the bite is slow or the normal streamers just weren't working.  After a lot of thought and looking at what others had created, I settled on a gray tail, a tinsel chenille in rainbow body, a red accent behind the head, and a black head.  Seeing as how white bass focus their predation on water that is as clear as they can find it, I decided the gray tail felt shad-like the have some motion.  The tinsel chenille in rainbow body would give off plenty of flash.  I really like to incorporate red when I can so I decided to tie this fly with red thread and give it a little accent between the body and head.  If this looks like gills or blood, I feel like it could trigger a feeding response.   Finally, I went with a black head to give it some contrast, to look like a black spot on a shad, and/or look like the face of a shad.  This is one of those flies that might just catch fishers, but it could also be a slayer for both white bass and crappie this spring.  I guess we will have to wait to see the thrilling conclusion here in a few weeks.

If you would like your very own sparkle jigs, please feel free to click on the link.  They are hand-tied by me.  I'm not sure if that makes people more or less likely to buy these beauties, but it's the truth and I wanted to make sure you know where they come from.


No comments:

Post a Comment