Monday, January 2, 2023

Fishing in Florida- Force Feeding a Tilapia


So the timing of my trip to Florida, in terms of fishing, was not ideal.  Prior to my arrival, most of Florida had experienced low temperatures that were extremely rare.  It was so cold, some freshwater fish didn't survive the cold snap.  Temperatures were on the rebound when we arrived by the fish that I saw were in shallow water and extremely lethargic.  To say that the situation was frustrating would be an understatement.  I could see largemouth, peackcock bass, snook, tilapia, and other species but they had zero interest in eating.

My only course of action that I saw was to fish as slow as possible with small lures.  I decided to go with a 1/80 ounce jig under a strike indicator.  I would much rather have thrown streamers but the situation dictated a simpler approach...and more boring if I'm being honest.  To make matters even less exciting, I figured that I needed to go with a spinning rod.  It was really hard to sight fish in the shallows with a fly rod setup so a spinning rod made more sense.  I dangled a fly in front of some fish but the fish were not interested at all.  I was about to just give up when I found a tilapia that didn't spook because of my proximity and didn't retreat from my jig offering.  

I slowly inched the jig closer and closer to the fish to see if I could incite a reactionary bite.  It didn't happen but again, the fish didn't flee like so many others had.  As I dangled the jig in front of it's mouth, I saw a small current that was being produced as the fish inhaled water to rush over its gills.  They fly was getting inhaled a little.  With as much patience as I could muster, I slowly moved the jig closer and closer to the fish's mouth.  Finally, the fly went in.  I don't think the fish even noticed it.  I sure noticed though and I set the hook.  The fight was on, for about three seconds, and then I was able to drag the fish to the bank.  I snapped a picture and eased the fish back into the water as fast as I could.  It swam off with enough energy that made me confident that it was going to survive.  

In all, I call this a victory.  Conditions were tough and my strategy that paid off was unconventional, but I avoided the skunk and got to see some species of fish that I don't get to fish for back home.  If you get a chance to chase freshwater fish in Florida, go for it!  Even when conditions are less than ideal, you'll still get to seem some beautiful fish and might even hook into one!


No comments:

Post a Comment