Tuesday, January 3, 2023

My First Florida-Strain Largemouth but No Peacocks


As I mentioned yesterday, while fishing in Florida last week, the fish were pretty lethargic.  I figured that if I wanted to catch some fish, a slow, vertical presentation was going to be my best bet.  I paired that idea with the thought that a small, unthreatening imitation might also entice a bight.  I was, partially, correct.

I woke up one morning and Ubered to Tropical Park in Miami, Florida.  It took me some time but eventually I found a group of peacocks and tilapia that were hanging out around some cattails.  I could see them made some good casts to them.  I must have worked these fish for over an hour and didn't get a bite.  I tried blind casting and working different depths but didn't get any hits.  The one, and only bite, that I got in over 4 hours of fishing was almost a missed bite.  I was losing focus and getting a little frustrated.  At the particular moment that I got my bite I believe I was looking for gators and iguanas.  When I finally turned my attention back to my strike indicator, I saw it diving deeper and deeper into the water.  I set the hook and the fight was on.

I was hoping (almost praying) for a peacock to be on the other end.  As the fight neared its end, I saw it was a largemouth.  While I was a little disappointed, I also respected the fact that I had never caught a Florida-strain Largemouth bass.  As the fish neared the bank, I hoped that he wouldn't come unhooked.  I have lost A LOT of memorable fish at the boat or at the bank and it has made a lasting impression on me.  Thankfully, he did NOT come unhooked and I avoided getting skunked.

While I didn't catch many fish on the trip to Florida, I was reminded that sometimes catching fewer fish makes each individual more memorable.  I have had 50 fish days and each one of them blend into one another.  However, I can say without hesitation, that I will remember the tilapia and small bass that I caught on my Florida trip.  For me, fishing is about the experience, the memories, and the stories that you can tell.  It's about competing against nature.  Fishing is about being outdoors, seeing animals like iguanas in this case and being terrified by something that jumped into the water when I almost stepped on it and that creature MIGHT have been an alligator.  Regardless, I have a memory and got to tell my story.  As always, thanks for reading and I'll be back with more fishy content tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment