Wednesday, January 18, 2023

A Setback to the Guide Service Idea

Yesterday, I was hit with a little dose of reality while I was at Bass Pro looking at some new boats.  I found out that it is going to be a challenge to store a boat in my garage with causes additional issues and costs for me.  My garage is only 18 feet long from the back wall to the door.  I had no idea that even 14 foot boats have a length from prop to tongue of almost 20 feet.  This has brought me to the idea that I need to find the longest boat possible with the shortest tongue possible.  This is going to be a challenge.  I refuse to store my boat outside or somewhere other than in my garage because I want to keep it protected and have access to it whenever I want.  I've thought about angling it in my garage but that is only going to take up more space but might be the only solution to the problem.  If you have any suggestions or ideas, I am all ears.  I am still moving forward with this idea, but it appears that I'm going to have to make some concessions and be flexible.

4 comments:

  1. Hello. I had the same problem. I was limited to 19 feet but was able to do a 15 foot boat. I had the trailer custom built and did a legend craft boat. I was still able to have a 20 horse outboard and two platforms to fish from. I do think you could do a 14 footer in an 18 foot garage. If you would like some detail you can contact me at danzim@comcast.net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience and for the advice. I actually ended up going with a swing tongue which allowed me to get the 16 foot long boat that I wanted. Thanks for helping out! I'm sure I will have more problems that will arise in the future and all advice will always be greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered a swing tongue? A quick search found this: https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2013/october/how-to-install-a-folding-swing-tongue
    Might be a solution to your storage problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion and that is exactly what I went with. I'm sure I will have more problems to solve so feel free to fire away any suggestions that you have. They are greatly appreciated.

      Delete