Monday, February 20, 2023

Shed Hunting Trip


Yesterday, my two sons and I got to do a little shed hunting and while we didn't find any monsters or matched pairs, we didn't get skunked either.  While walking through some thick grass, my youngest son, Cody, yelled "Hey!  I found an antler!"  Truth be told, he actually stepped on it and thought it was a leg bone like he had found earlier in the day.  He was pretty pumped and I was extremely happy for him.  This is the second shed he has found in two years of shed hunting and probably the fourth or fifth we have found together.  It was a fun and exciting moment that I will always remember.

While all three of us were hunting, we also did something else.  Now please understand that I'm not trying to come off and grandiose or sanctimonious.  This is not some sort of humble brag.  I'm just passing along an idea that my buddy Pat gave to me.  While we were hunting, we picked up trash.  The reasoning is two-fold.  Number one, it feels wrong to walk by trash and not do something about it.  Number two, it keeps your eyes sharp and keeps your attention from getting lackadaisical.  What was humorous about our trash picking up endeavor, was that we forgot to bring trash bags to collect the refuse.  Either by luck or some sort of intervention on nature's part, we found some bags while we were walking and used those.  We all laughed and joked about how nature seemed to say "Oh, you want to pick up trash and need a bag?  Well here you go, boys!"

There was a social media movement last year where anglers were encouraged to pack out a net full of trash while on the water and I dig that idea too.  I think I am going to participate in that as well and make it a tradition.  And just like Pat passed the shed hunting/trash pick up idea to me, (and here comes the potential for sanctimony) if you would like to start a similar tradition of your own, by all means, feel free to get your hands dirty.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment