Thursday, December 3, 2020

Fishing Report from Last Weekend- Mason's First Trout

Today will be the last post about our fishing trip from last Saturday, but today's post is about a pretty special moment.  My oldest son has caught a few fish on a fly rod.  He's caught bluegill, largemouth, and even a white bass but never a trout.  Last Saturday, that statistic changed in his favor.  We were fishing at Liberty Park Pond in Sedalia, Missouri.  This is a great place to take kids because there is a park, basketball court, and lots of room for a kid to run and play.  Mason was aware that he had never caught a trout before and after playing with his younger brother for a little while, he approached me and told me that he wanted to give it a shot.  I was glad that he wanted to give it a shot so we headed to a spot that I have caught fish in the past.

I hadn't fished this particular spot yet so I thought we had a pretty good chance at hooking into one.  After some pointers, he was on the rod and chasing trout.  He missed the first bite because he didn't set the hook hard enough.  I figured he might be a little rusty but I think he learned his lesson pretty quickly.  As I stepped away to look at another fishing spot, I glanced back to see his rod bent and moving back and forth.  He had a good hook set this time and was fighting a trout.  He was pretty excited and horsed it in pretty quickly without losing it thankfully.  He was pretty proud of himself and I am certain I was slightly more proud.  His smile says it all and I'm glad he was able to catch a trout on a fly.  If you're reading this, I'm proud of you son and congratulations.  I love you!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment