Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Weekend Fishing Report- The Fly I Used at Everyday Pond

I wanted to follow up yesterday's post and describe the fly that I used in order to maybe help you catch a few more fish.  This fly, called The Standard, was developed by my buddy Tom and it is an outstanding fly.  I have watching him catch trout, redear, bluegill, bass, green sunfish and even catfish on this fly!  I wrote about how my girlfriend Wendy did so well on it at Liberty Park Pond during our visit there about a week ago.  I am writing today to tell you how well it did at Everyday Pond on the campus of Missouri Western State University.  

After Wendy out-fished me last time, I decided that I would use The Standard last Sunday when we hit the water.  I fished it on 6 pound fluorocarbon leader and about 4-5 feet under an indicator.  I would either bring it in on a slow retrieve or let the wind bring it towards the shore without any retrieve.  I ended up catching 10 fish on this fly and Wendy caught three.  The the fly doesn't need reinforcement, but it sure felt good to have success on a new body of water!  It is a pretty easy fly to tie and you could crank quite a few out in a short amount of time.  If you would rather have me tie them for you, I sell them in my Etsy store.  I can almost guarantee though, if you fish it, it will become a "standard" in your fly box. 






1 comment:

  1. Looks like a productive fly, yes catfish can be caught on flies,jigs, spinners, etc. like other fish. Last summer I caught 1 Channel Catfish on a wooly bugger in olive green & black + another on a yellow inline spinner at the same lake.

    ReplyDelete