Monday, December 7, 2020

Weekend Fishing Report- Everyday Pond at Missouri Western State University


I apologize for the late post but I wanted to share a pretty interesting experience with everyone rather than not have a post at all today.  After posting last week about different lakes in Missouri that are stocked with trout that are also catch and release until Feb. 1, I started to look at which lakes are close to me.  After identifying a few, I decided that I needed to take a trip to Missouri Wester State University and fish at a pond they have on campus which is named Everyday Pond.  

When I arrived, the first thing I noticed is that it pretty small.  I felt like that gave me some sort of advantage as the trout didn't have many places to hide.  There was a gravel parking lot, restroom, and dock as well but what I really appreciated was the fact that most of the banks were clean.  What I mean is that all of the saplings and vegetation that seems to entangle your fly line had ben cut down.  The casting background was pretty good as well so you didn't have to worry about snagging a tree in your backcast.  I could have walked around the entire lake in five minutes and could have fished from every spot on the bank.  There was also a paved walking trail which was nice.  

The fishing started off kind of slow but Wendy and I finally found a hot spot.  She ended up landing three and I got ten to my hands.  All of the fish were caught on the same fly, which I will go into more detail about tomorrow.  The water on the edges had some ice and the water level was dropping which made the banks a little muddy.  The water was clear but I was still able to use six pound fluorocarbon leader.  All of our fish were caught along the dam and I saw another guy catch a few off the dam as well.  There seemed to be a pretty steep drop off along the dam as you would expect and I think the fish liked that.  The wind was also blowing into the dam which didn't hurt either in my opinion.  Overall, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon and it is always fun to fish a new spot, especially when a little success is thrown in.








2 comments:

  1. That's where I first attempted to catch a trout! Through a hole in the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I caught about 10 on a jig under an indicator...without a hole in the ice.

      Delete