Monday, December 6, 2021

Fishing Report from Liberty Park Pond in Sedalia, Missouri

Last Saturday, I had the joy to go fly fishing for rainbow trout with my middle school fly fishing club in Sedalia, Missouri.  We fished at Liberty Park Pond which is located right in the middle of town.  This lake is a catch and release lake until Feb. 1.  What that translates to is that this pond is FULL of trout.  Like, 2,000 trout.  That's a lot of trout.

I am proud to announce that every club member that attended caught a fish.  Every fish was caught on 1/80th ounce jigs about 3 feet under a strike indicator.  They hit on a variety of colors and wanted them on a dead drift.  There were a lot of fish taking bugs off the top of the water and while I did get one to hit a Griffith's gnat, I missed him and didn't get another bite.  I couldn't ever figure out what they were eating.

All of my fish were caught on The Standard which is about all I have fished for stocked trout over the last year.  I know, it doesn't look like a fish catching machine but it sure is!  I caught about 10 fish between 10:30 and 11:30 but then the action slowed considerably.  Most of my fish came while fishing around the island off the point that overlooks the hand rail on the opposite side.  I maybe managed 3 more fish for the rest of the day between 11:30 and 3:00.  

We also saw a bald eagle later in the middle of the afternoon too!  I see one just about every time I go there which is something fun to be on the look for.  We didn't see him take a fish off the water, but you could tell he was on the hunt for some early dinner.  Overall, it was a great day with amazing weather, a few fish and some outstanding young people!  Waylon came along and had a good time as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment