Wednesday, July 13, 2022

I Dig This Popper!

This little devil is impressive!  I wrote about the Surface Seducer Howitzer Baitfish Popping Heads extensively last week.  I settled on a couple of designs and got to do a little field testing with them both yesterday.  The first was an articulated fly and the second was a smaller version.  While the articulated version was good, I like the smaller version that is pictured much better.  

First off, it floats really well.  I was nervous that the gamchanger chenille might absorb too much water and make it sink but it did not.  It sits high in the water which gives it a great popping sound and helps it to move some water as well as spit some water as well.  I also really like the profile.  It has a definite taper to the body just like a baitfish would have.  

The next question is will it catch fish.  I don't have that answer...yet.  I'm thinking that largemouth, smallmouth, white, and hybrid striped bass would eat this.  If these species are feeding on baitfish, I cannot see a reason for them to pass up on this fly.  I can also see a saltwater application for this fly as well.  I've been watching a lot of videos lately that show fish, like tuna, crushing schooling baitfish that have been chased to the surface.  This thing looks like it would be tempting to a fish like that AND it is tied on a big saltwater hook already.  

Obviously, the next step is to catch some fish on this thing.  I hope to try it on some low pressure farm pond bass first and then take it somewhere like Truman Lake to see what smarter fish thing about it.  I will keep you posted on future field tests, but if you would like to order some of your own while they are in the prototype phase, feel free to shoot me an email and I can get a few to you.  My email is showmeflyguy@gmail.com.








No comments:

Post a Comment