Thursday, July 21, 2022

Redemption and Reassurance on the Water


I'll be honest, fishing has been slow for me lately.  I have experimented with some things that haven't gone very well and have struggled to adapt to fish behavior.  I've missed some good bites and lost some decent fish at the boat.  I'm not complaining by any means, just stating facts to explain why my confidence was knocked down a couple of rungs recently.  My confidence has always been shaky at best and it is something that I have struggled with since grade school.  So when I decided to go to Rocky Hollow Park in Excelsior Springs, Missouri, with a spinning rod and soft plastic baits, it was partially to get a little confidence back.

Aside from the confidence factor, I also knew that I needed to adapt more to the summer pattern.  Bass seem less likely to hit a big streamer right now.  They are hot and lethargic.  It can also be a little tricky to get a fly in front of them as well.  Some of them are suspended in 6-8 feet of water and getting a fly to that depth requires patience.  I've tried that very thing lately and my patience was running on empty.  Thus, a lead weight and a plastic worm.  

Please don't think of me as some sort of heathen.  Fly fishing is my passion and always will be.  On the other hand, I believe a well-rounded angler needs to be able to read the writing on the wall and adjust to the conditions/patterns.  I enjoy throwing soft plastics on spinning gear in the heat of the summer, in part, because it works.  Believe me, if I knew how to catch these fish on fly tackle, I would be doing that very thing.

In short, the pumpkin (punkin if you prefer) and chartreuse worm got the job done.  I caught 4-5 bass on this little lake and was extremely satisfied by the end of the morning.  I felt like I got some confidence back and returned to using a tactic that has worked for me in the past.  I would also like to give a special acknowledgement to 816 Baits.  This is a small business that a former student of my started and the lure I used came from his store.  His products are great and he is a passionate, well rounded angler.  You can find him on Instagram or Facebook by searching 816 baits or just click here to go to the Facebook page!



No comments:

Post a Comment