Wednesday, July 6, 2022

My Attempt at Using a Flymen Fishing Company Howitzer Baitfish Head is...Something

Okay, so I tied a fly with the baitfish head yesterday and had the chance to test it on the water.  Here is the fly and below is what I think and observed.


1. It's too big.  I have too many shanks and need to shorten this thing.
2. It floats, but barely.  Again, there are too many shanks and too much material.
3. I need to stick to one color.  White, olive, chartreuse would all be good options but there's just too many things going on here.  It looks busy and inconsistent which I don't like.

Going forward, I'm going to do an all white fly and an all chartreuse fly.  I'm thinking 1-2 shanks or maybe even no shanks.  While I am a little disappointed, I also understand that this is part of the fly tying process.  Sometimes you have to find what you don't like before you end up with what you do want.  It takes awhile to find an optimal design and the "bad" ones help you get there.  I'm going to keep working and sharing that I come up with until I find something that I have the utmost confidence in.  Until then, it's one big experiment.

If you like the platform that I used or are just curious about the process, I am including some step-by-step pictures that might be helpful.










No comments:

Post a Comment