Thursday, July 7, 2022

My Second Attempt Using a Flymen Fishing Company Howitzer Baitfish Head is...BETTER!

After yesterday's post about how my fly design for the howitzer baitfish fly did not live up to my expectations, I was excited to get back to the vise.  I don't deal well with failure.  It's the competitive side of me.  I am also a perfectionist.  I get that from my parents pushing me to always do my best.  I had some very nice people send me some cool designs and ideas that I mulled over last night and this morning.  I landed on two ideas that worked in concert with what I left off with yesterday.  1. Get smaller.  2. Stick to one color.  

Step one was to spray paint some baitfish heads.  I simply hit them with some white rust-oleum spray paint and let it dry.  From there, I had two designs in mind with one of them being a smaller version of the second.  The first one is pretty simple; a marabou tail, gamechanger body material, baitfish head, and all of it is packaged one a great big, nasty saltwater hook.

The second design was very similar to the first but involved a 20 mm shank attached to the hook.  The idea was to give it some wiggle without all of the bulk and complexity.  I am happy to say that I am more than pleased with these designs and I am EXTREMELY excited to get them some field testing!  If things go well, you might just see them in the online store.  They are a lot of fun to tie and if they had some adhesive eyes (as well maybe some silicone legs), these things might be fish catching machines!

Design 1- the smaller baitfish





Design 1- the bigger baitfish






No comments:

Post a Comment