Monday, July 11, 2022

The Weekend: The Good, The Bad, and the Worse



Last weekend, Wendy, Collin, Mason, Cody and about 20 of our closest friends journeyed down to Fugitive Beach in Rolla, Missouri.  If you have been there, I am sure you have your own opinion of the place.  If you haven't, please allow me to give you a brief summary and review of the place.  It is an old rock quarry with dyed water, cliff jumping, and a water slide.  It also has some swimming areas and you can bring in your own food, water, and chairs.  It's an interesting place, there is no doubt about it!  Let's get to what I would like to describe as the good, the bad, and the worse.

Good: Fugitive Beach itself 
I thought this place was a lot of fun!  I got to watch the boys swim, play with friends, and jump off cliffs.  Younger kids have to wear life jackets so I didn't have to worry about Cody much and I could give him and his brother some independence.  It was also fun to watch Mason, Cody, Collin and Wendy overcome their fears and jump off the 20 foot cliff.  You can check out those videos on TikTok soon.

The Bad: theft
Here's where the weekend took a turn for the worse.  When we were ready to pull out of the hotel parking lot on Sunday morning, I noticed that my truck sounded like a mix between a muscle car and a top fuel dragster.  It took about 5 seconds to assume what had happened and that assumption turned out to be accurate.  Overnight, some individual(s) cut out and stole my catalytic converter.  That's right...232 miles from home with a messed up truck.  A police report was taken, an insurance claim has been filed, and today I am tasked with starting the process of getting my truck back into operating fashion.  

The Worse: all of the incurred obstacles
It is a heck of a thing to be a victim of theft and vandalism.  Anger, sadness, and confusion are what I have been dealing with lately.  I have to come to grips with the fact that sometimes bad things just happen, but it is taking a little effort to get there.  Not only did I have a part of my truck (which I rely on and appreciate on a daily basis) stolen, I have what feels like a mountain of obstacles to overcome now.  Getting it to a mechanic, waiting on parts to come in, and finding an adequate rental are just a few things that I now have to deal with.  I have a deductible to pay which also feels like even more theft from the thieves.  I have lawns that I have been mowing and fishing that I would like to do which have now become more difficult because of the choices that some complete strangers made that have thrown unrequested challenges my way.  I DO take solace in the fact that nobody got hurt and that what was done can be fixed.  I just need to pull up my boots and get to work because that's all that can be done at this point.



No comments:

Post a Comment