Friday, January 15, 2021

A Squirrel Hunt with Mason- Part 2- Tanning a Hide

Besides eating our quarry (and thoroughly enjoying it), I wanted to tan the hide of the squirrel for a few different reasons.  These are in no particular order by the way.

1. To Preserve the Memory of the Hunt
This was Mason's first successful hunt and I wanted him to have something to remember it by.  Every time I look at one of my mounted fish, a framed picture, or a deer mount I am almost instantaneously transported to that moment in my memory.  I hope that this display takes him back to a time that he spent with his dad in the woods up at our family farm.

2. It is Simple and Inexpensive
If you've ever tanned a hide, you know that it is time consuming and tedious but not what I would consider difficult.  If you have never tanned a hide, I highly recommend giving it a shot.  The materials that you need are inexpensive and most are readily available.  

3. To Learn a New & Useful Skill
I always try to impart knowledge and wisdom on my kids, maybe a little too much.  Learning how to tan a hide is an interesting skill to learn and has a lot of science concepts to touch on along the way.

4. To Spend Time Together
I love doing projects with my sons because we spend time together away from screens, toys, and other things.  When we tanned this hide, we had work to do and conversation.  I think both of those are pretty rewarding and gratifying.

5. To Preserve the Memory of the Animal
During this entire process, I wanted to make sure that we paid respect to the animal that surrendered its life on our hunt.  The animal's pelt will honor its beauty and sacrifice for years to come.  We respect nature and appreciate all of its splendor.








No comments:

Post a Comment