Monday, January 4, 2021

Brown Trout Fly Boxes- Part 2

After the image got transferred to the box, I settled on a dark walnut stain.  I followed that up with a few coats of polyurethane.  I went with a gloss to make protect the fragile wood and to make the burned image stand out a little bit more.

I then used a paper cuter (a perk of being a teacher) to cut out sheets of foam to fit the lid and bottom of the boxes.  I have two pieces of advice if you are considering working on a similar project.  One is that these boxes are not uniform even though there were bought from the same store at the same time.  To ensure that the foam fits well, measure each lid and bottom individually.  Second, I measure in millimeters.  I found that this gave me more accurate measurements and I would much rather deal with decimals than with fractions of inches.  

I still have some decisions to make in terms of whether I will upgrade the hinges and latches or if I will cut channels in the foam to hold flies with tension.  I am leaning towards the channels to avoid tearing up the foam which would happen inevitably with barbs from hooks.  This is where I am right now and will post another update when this project gets wrapped up.





No comments:

Post a Comment