Friday, January 29, 2021

Working on a New Fly Pattern- The Hunger Strike

Named after the idea that a fish better be hungry for a meal this big, ready to strike, and an outstanding song from the 90’s, the Hunger Strike is...complex. Part marabou streamer, part complex twist, part articulated streamer, and part mythical beast with countershading, this work horse comes with excess horsepower! 

Wow. I don’t know what happened there. I somehow channeled my inner salesman and prophet. So anyway, I was playing around with some ideas last night and hadn’t freestyled in a long time. I probably looked at 20 streamer patterns before I mentally sketched out the parameters of this beast. I will readily admit that I screwed up by not tying the dumbbell eyes in first and would have preferred a deer hair over a manicured synthetic fiber head. Instead, I had to make due with my errors but I think I might be on to something. You can see influences of the the circus peanut, mini dungeon, and wooly bugger if you look hard enough. But don’t look too hard because it’s like looking at the sun either in the way.  Is it beautiful or is it so overwhelming that you can’t unsee it even as you try to blink it out for the following seconds. My plan is to throw it in the fly tester and see how it behaves before a final judgment! Results forthcoming to a blog near you.



























No comments:

Post a Comment