Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Brown Trout Fly Boxes- The Disappointing Conclusion

If I may be blunt, this project ended up having some disappointing results.  As you can see in the pictures, there were some flaws and imperfections that I am not happy with.  However, I thought I would share these with you in case you tackling this project or something similar.

1. I cut the foam too big and didn't leave enough leeway.  This caused ripples in the foam and it didn't make full contact with the wood underneath.  I had already glued the foam down so now I have to come up with a way to possibly fix it.  I'm either going to have to rip it all out or trim the edges (if possible) to elevate the ripples.  I cut channels in the foam which might or might not help solve this problem.



2. I also decided to get cute and tried to paint red spots on the fish.  That also did not end up looking the way that I wanted.  Next time, I'm going to keep things simple.  Apparently I am as good of an artist as I am a woodworker.



3. Apparently I don't know how to apply polyurethane.  I ended up with some drips and runs that look awful.  I applied the gloss with a foam bush but in hindsight, I think that was the wrong move.  I also think some of the foam got left behind when it snagged on the rough surface which brings me to my final point.



4. I should have sanded the boxes first.  I hate sanding and I was in a rush to get to transfer and burn the images.  Like with most things in life, when you rush, the results are not desirable.  I knew that these boxes were going to be prototypes and that I would learn from mistakes but I was also hopeful that things would turn out perfect anyway.  They did not.  Now I have to decide if I want to give this another shot and aim for perfection or if I want to say "to heck with it" and move on to other things.  



No comments:

Post a Comment