Thursday, May 12, 2022

Outfished by My Son

Last night, my oldest son Mason and I were able to get a little fishing in between dinner and sunset.  What happened was something that I didn't expect and honestly, something I didn't think would ever happen...he caught more and bigger fish than me.  It wasn't close either.  He gave me a proper beating.  He cast on his own, hooked fish, landed fish, and released them without any help from me.  He probably ended up catching 10 fish to my 4 or five and out of those 10, one bass was close to a pound.  It was pretty rewarding to see him independently do so many things that I had taught him.  it was even more rewarding to see him do those things better than me on this particular evening!

As for the fishing report, we started off by using different jigs under indicators.  He threw a John Deere while I threw a Standard.  He caught all 10 of his on his fly while I had to change flies which only produced limited results.  I caught one on an olive and white wooly bugger and a couple on a John Deere after I decided if I couldn't beat him, why not join him!

I wouldn't call him a passionate angler, but he knows the basics and is pretty proficient.  He doesn't ask me to go fishing (maybe because I volunteer him before he has a chance to ask) and he won't spend much more than 30 minutes on the water but all of that is fine.  I'm glad that I get the time that I can with him.  I've always said that I won't force my kids to participate in extra curricular activities that they don't want to do...with the exception of fishing.  They don't have to be as passionate as me, but they WILL learn how to catch fish!  It turns out that Mason has done just that.




No comments:

Post a Comment