Monday, May 16, 2022

The Chartreuse Caboose Works!

A funny thing happened last Saturday night.  Upon arriving to a lake that was excited to fish, I started going through my usual routine.  I unloaded my boat, organized all of the equipment that made me legal to be on the water, and got the motor up and running.  After loading my two rods that were already rigged (and transported in my rod transportation system which I wouldn't want to be without anymore), I went to through my backpack/tackle box into the boat.  You remember the one.  It was featured in this post.  It was at this point that I realized that I didn't grab this important item.  

It slowly started to dawn on me that I was missing more than my flies.  I was also missing leader, my knot tying tool, and my scale.  I was without a towel, pliers, and scissors.  I was in a rush and out of my routine when I packed.  I was more concerned about securing the rods and having all of the necessary boat components, that I overlooked one of the most important items for an evening of fishing.  Essentially, all I had was a John Deere jig under an indicator on a four weight rod and a white/chartreuse complex twist wooly bugger on a six weight rod.  Talk about being committed to two flies and keeping it simple!

On the bright side, I was excited to fish this new fly.  If you want more details about it, just click here.  To summarize, it is a bulked up wooly bugger that I wanted to use to target medium size to bigger bass.  It is too big for bluegill but not too small for bass.  Since I had never fished this fly before, I needed to force myself to commit to it for an little while.  Since this fly was only one of two options that I had, the committal part was done for me.

I can say, without a shadow of doubt, that this fly will catch largemouth bass.  The lake that I was fishing does get pressure.  It's not a farm pond full of dumb bass.  These fish see plenty of lures and the fact that I ended up catch three bass in an evening on this small lake speaks volumes to me.  Aside from actually catching fish, I really dig how this fly looks and behaves in the water.  It has a tapered profile and good motion in the water.  The body pulsates some and the tail gives it a good wiggle.  This fly has earned a spot in my streamer rotation as a result and has gotten a name as well.  While it is a conehead wooly bugger with a complex twist, I wanted something simpler to call it.  So by decree of...well, myself...this fly will henceforth be referred to as The Chartreuse Caboose.  It's a more fun to say and almost makes me giggle every time I say it.




No comments:

Post a Comment