Friday, November 12, 2021

Good Luck and Be Safe!


Once a year, between Halloween and Thanksgiving, a transformation takes place.  Maybe happens because the temperatures start to drop and seasons are in a state of flux.  Maybe something in my prehistoric DNA awakens something in my brain.  Maybe something on a deeper level drives me to get outside and appreciate the beauty of nature.  Or maybe I have deer hunted at this time of year for almost the last 20 years.  Whatever the reason, The Fly Guy changes gears for a couple of weekends and becomes The Deer Guy.

I'll be honest though, I'm not a great hunter.  I've missed as many deer (5) as I have killed (yep, 5) and I lack the patience as well as shooting skills to be a good hunter.  That doesn't stop me from enjoying it and participating in a tradition that started for me after college.  I have been lucky enough to hunt with a lot of friends and family and even bagged a few bucks in the process.  In my younger days, I used to be out for blood and wanted to shoot any deer that came along.  Nowadays, I'm content to just enjoy the experience and the scenery.  I'll try and shoot a big buck if it comes along, but if it doesn't that's alright.  As much as anything, I enjoy sharing the experience with someone else.  Sometimes it Wendy, sometimes it is her son Collin, at other times it if Mason, and this year, it might even be my youngest son Cody.  

Regardless, it is time spent outdoors and participating in a tradition that goes back way before I was born.  I feel lucky and blessed to live in a country and state that allows its citizens to still hunt and benefit from the bounties of nature.  I was introduced to deer hunting by my dad's brother and I have enjoyed passing the experience along to Collin and Mason.  I've also tried to convey the importance of life and the circle of life to them as well.  I want them both to understand that when an animal is harvested, it is giving it's life so that mine can be sustained as a result.  The last thing I want is for either of them to perceive that hunting is a blood-thirsty sport that is only enjoyable if blood is shed.  

So if you too are headed to the woods and fields this weekend, please be safe and good luck.  Enjoy the time away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.  Take a moment to appreciate the beauties, complexities, and oddities of nature.  Have a great weekend no matter what you do, and try to take some time to do what makes you happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment