Friday, November 19, 2021

This Fly Rod Was About to Go Into the Trash!



It's a heck of a thing to have good friends and coworkers!  I say that because last Monday morning, a colleague of mine told me that he had something for me.  He told me that it was in his car and thought I might have a use for it.  When he returned a few minutes later with a fly rod, my jaw literally dropped.  He told me that he had helped a friend clean out a storage unit the previous weekend weekend and during the process, they ran across some fishing equipment.  When the owner was sorting things out, the dust covered fly rod was placed in the "trash pile".  Seeing as how my colleague/buddy is a very thoughtful guy, he asked if the owner was sure that he wanted to trash the rod.  The owner stood by his decision but my friend thought of me and asked if he could give it to a good home instead.

And that is how a Shakespeare Wonderod wound up in my possession!  I know next to nothing about this rod.  I know it is 7 feet, 9 inches long, fiberglass, and old.  I am guessing it is from the 70's and that it is potentially a 6 weight.  I am going to cast it later today and see how it feels.  I'm also going to do a little research on this unexpected gem and will have a follow up post next week probably.  I am excited about both and am VERY appreciative of my generous  benefactor's kindness and thoughtfulness.  I am so happy that this beauty didn't end up in the trash!


No comments:

Post a Comment