Monday, March 6, 2023

A Few Firsts


Last Saturday afternoon, I encountered a lot of firsts.  For the first time in my life, I backed a boat down a boat ramp and launched a boat.  I've done this quite a few times with friends' boats and with help from friends, but I had never done this solo before.  Also for the first time, I spent some time on Smithville Lake by myself.  I know Smithville can be a tough lake to navigate so I spent some time in open, deep water and ran the trolling motor around a couple of coves.  Finally, I had never put a boat on a trailer by myself until Saturday.  

I'll be honest, I was terrified while driving to the lake.  I was scared that I was going to back my boat into the water.  I was scared that the engine wouldn't start.  I was scared that I was going to damage the boat, tick folks off at the ramp, and a plethora of other awful possibilities that I have seen in "boat ramp fail" videos.  Thankfully, I have friends and family that reassured me and gave me some solid advice.  Things could not have went smoother and it was a great day on the lake.  







2 comments:

  1. I was there when you pulled out and would have never guessed that it was your first time. Looked like a season pro. I was in the deep v on the opposite side. Bye the way you have a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there fishing when you backed it down and used the rope. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete