Friday, March 10, 2023

Wooly Rig


For some reason, crappie fishing has been on my mind lately.  Specifically, I've been thinking about how to maximize crappie fishing opportunities.  After my success with a tandem rig last weekend, I got to thinking about why crappie fishermen don't use a two lure setup.  I realized that fishing with two jigs was possible but felt...cumbersome.  I set out to design a new crappie rig.  

I've done a small amount of research online and haven't seen the rig that I have displayed on today's post.  I understand that fact does not mean that I am the original creator of this rig and by no means am I looking for any credit.  I just see value in utilizing two lures at once, or in this case, a jig and a fly.  The beauty of this rig is that it utilizes a traditional jig but also incorporates a fly.  

The fly will stay in a horizontal position and will be positioned at a depth that is different than the jig.  With this setup, an angler could fish two parts of the water column at once.  The angler could also fish very different or similar depths depending on the distance between the two lures.  An angler could even replace the fly with a hook that would hold live bait.  And while I don't see this exact setup being ideal for a fly rod, it might give you an idea.  

I would fish the setup that you see on this post on a spinning rod and I would expect it to provide you with an occasional fish when a crappie chooses to hit the fly, that you might not have caught with a traditional rig.  The knot is easy and you probably already have the tackle.  Why not give it a shot and see what happens the next time you are crapping fishing with conventional tackle?


No comments:

Post a Comment