Monday, March 20, 2023

A Yellow Streamer…a First for Me!


Recently, I had an idea.  I mulled it over for a couple of days and didn't act on it.  The idea wouldn't go away though.  It burrowed into my brain like some sort of brain eating amoeba and refused to let go.  I finally succumbed to the nagging and made good on what I couldn't stop thinking about.  That thing...was an all yellow streamer.

Specifically, the streamer was an SBS (smallmouth bass streamer).  I have never tied an all yellow streamer before but I just kept thinking that it seemed like a good idea.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I'm excited to do some field testing with this fly.  It has a marabou tail, a complex twist body, an a Senyo's laser dub head.  It is tied on a B10S platform and this fly is a size 1/0.  The fly also has large dumbbell eyes to get it down and it swims with its point oriented upward.  

I think this fly would work well for brown trout, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, and channel catfish.  It seems like you could throw this on a 6, 7, or 8 weight without a problem.  Clear water and blue skies would probably be the best conditions to use this fly.  I think that it will really stand out in the water and there is a lot of potential to see some serious visual eats with this fly.  I'm hoping that spring finally arrives and brings water temps warm enough to give this fly a proper trial run.  I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes, but for now, I'm going to tie a few more and hopefully shake my amoeba.

No comments:

Post a Comment