Thursday, March 9, 2023

Tandem Rig


On Tuesday's post, I mentioned how I threw a tandem rig to catch a couple of largemouth bass on Smithville Lake.  You can access that post by clicking here.  Today, I wanted to follow up that post with some more specifics about the rig.  It's a pretty simple setup and if you are an average caster (like myself), you shouldn't end up with many tangles.  I just use an improved clinch knot for the first fly.  Next, I peel off about 18 inches of fluorocarbon and tie one end to the bend of the hook for the first fly.  I use an improved clinch knot again for this knot.  Finally, I tie the other end of the connecting line to the second fly and again, I use an improved clinch knot.  

I have had a lot of success with this rig when fishing for smaller bass and bluegill.  On multiple occasions last summer, I wound up catching two fish at the same time.  I've also caught some channel cats and bigger than average bass on this setup as well.  I think there is something to the idea that the first fly gets the attention and are more stimulated to attack the second fly.  Maybe there is something to seeing a pair of baitfish swimming by that stimulates a fish's brain.  I'm not certain on the psychology behind why the rig works, I just know that I am done throwing one small streamer at a time!  This setup has worked for me and I hope it works for you as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment