Thursday, March 2, 2023

Types of Fishers

The reason that I ask this question is because I think there are two different types of anglers.  This is not a judgmental observation where I see one group as good and the other is bad.  In fact, I see myself fitting firmly in one group and sometimes wishing that I fit into the other group.

Group 1
I think there are people that are skilled fishers and have caught a lot of fish in their lives.  They have some skills, utilize them, and usually have success on the water.  They enjoy the experience and don't take it extremely seriously.  They have home waters with patterns and flies/lures that have worked in the past and will probably continue to work.  I don't think this group has age boundaries.  This group can consist of young adults, middle-aged folks, or veterans of the sport.
Group 2
I also think there are people that analyze everything they do and everything around them.  They are never satisfied with the numbers or size of fish.  They want to catch species they have never landed before.  This group throws new flies/lures regularly with the hope that they find the next big thing.  New water does not look like an obstacle for these anglers but instead an opportunity for new success and growth.  This group is driven and is focused on the task at hand.  Fishing sometimes looks like a military operation.  
Group 3
These groups are flexible.  I think an individual can move back and forth between groups over the course of years, weeks, or even during a day.  Maybe conditions warrant moving from group 1 to group 2.  Maybe it has been a long week and a group 2 person decides that group 1 is a better fit for the day.

It is possible that this is just my perspective and that I am off with my observation.  This is just something that dawned on me this morning and maybe it needs more thought and investigation.  On the other hand, maybe you can relate to some of my musings.  I used to belong to group 1 until I received a fly rod for Christmas in 2001.  Until that point, I fished farm ponds for bass, bluegill, and catfish.  My techniques were simple, few, and effective.  Since 2001, I have been firmly planted in group 2.  Maybe one day, I will end up back in group 1 when I feel like I have a set of skills that are enough for me and will help me in every situation...or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment