Friday, March 24, 2023

How I Try to Fish New Water!

It is important to note that I am a Type A personality.  If you don't know what that means, here is a brief definition from WebMD:

The phrase "Type A" refers to a pattern of behavior and personality associated with high achievement, competitiveness, and impatience, among other characteristics.

In particular, the positive traits of a Type A personality include:
  • Self-control
  • Motivation to achieve results
  • Competitiveness
  • Multi-tasking skills
Meanwhile, the more difficult traits that come with a Type A personality definition include:
  • Chronic competitiveness
  • Impatience
  • Aggression
Here is a list of things that I do prior to fishing new water, as a Type A Personality
  1. Buy maps
  2. Print off maps
  3. Join Facebook groups, read posts, and ask questions
  4. Contact friends that have had experience with the water
  5. Maybe hire a guide
  6. Conduct Google searches
  7. Take notes in a spiral notebook, I'm not kidding
  8. Look at Google Earth images
  9. Watch YouTube videos
  10. Visit fly shops and/or bait shops
If my approach sounds crazy, that's because it probably is.  I fit the bill of being a motivated, success-driven, and competitive individual.  I took a similar approach to basketball when I was in high school.  Speaking of which, shortly after college, fishing took the place of basketball for me and is my competitive outlet.  I see it as a competition against a formidable opponent with most of the rules for the game determined by the fish.  Please know that I am saying that my way is the right way.  If you are of a different personality that just enjoys the time on the water, I am envious of you.  Sometimes I wish I wasn't the way I am, but this is how I was made so I embrace it...most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment