Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Tying Some Bass Poppers


Tying bass poppers is not my specialty.  I have tied a few, learned from some mistakes that I have made, and in theory, I know how to tie them correctly.  So when I received a request to tie some customers for a gentleman out east, I took the order with a little apprehension.  I made sure to take my time and double check my theories to make the best product that I could.  I am proud to say that the customer was happy and I think the final product turned out really well.  

I tied these poppers on size 6 hooks and hard foam popper heads.  I painted them with acrylic paint, hit them with 3 coats of clear gloss, and drilled holes through the foam to pull the rubber legs through.  Painting the eyes might have been the hardest part.  I used a paint pen to do the white of the eyes and the head of a pin that I dipped into paint to dot the pupil of the eye.  I'm on the fence about whether I am going to offer these in the fly shop but they sure were fun...time consuming...but fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment