Thursday, March 24, 2022

DIY Streamer Boxes


I love fly boxes.  Maybe it's because I appreciate organization.  Maybe it's because I like a spot for what I create at my vice.  I could go on, but you probably get the idea.  What I DON'T like are the outlandish prices you can pay for fly boxes.  Don't get me wrong, some of them are worth the price.  On the other hand, if I can make my own, I will probably appreciate it more and save some money at the same time.  I dig both of those ideas.  

Streamer fly boxes start off at about $20 but go up to a lot more.  When I ran across a box at 5 Below awhile back that almost had the exact same profile and size as some streamer boxes, I bought 3.  They sat around for a few months but I finally got around to making them functional.  I bought a large sheet of 5 mm foam as well as some super glue.  I cut the sheets to the correct shape and size, glued them down, and then cut some grooves into the foam with a razor.  The grooves hold the flies in place with tension and add to the longevity of the box.  

I bet I have $10 invested into each box and I really dig them.  Once I threw a few stickers on them to cover up the fact you can see the glue through the clear plastic, I like them even more.  Below, I have included a photographic tutorial in case you want to try to tackle a similar project.  They aren't pretty, but they are inexpensive and useful!  Kind of like me!






No comments:

Post a Comment