Thursday, March 17, 2022

Watkins Mill Fishing Report


It was a beautiful day on Tuesday so Waylon and I decided to do a little fishing at Watkins Mill State Park.  I was hopeful to catch the lake as it was "waking up" but we were still a little early.  I tried for crappie along the dam, but didn't get a bite.  I tried some other shoreline hoping to find some fish warming up in the shallows and while I found some baitfish, I didn't get a bite.  It wasn't until I started fishing the west side of the lake near the swimming beach where I finally started to pick up a few.  I picked up a small bass, a few bluegill, and a SOLID 9 inch redear sunfish.  

I went with a jig under an indicator but I'm excited to switch to streamers here really soon.  Eventually the bigger fish will be chasing bait and gorging themselves on whatever they can find but until that time, slow baits is the name of the game.  On the other hand, I did run into a guy that said he caught a 9 pound bass.  I'm not sure what he caught it on but this is a darn good sign that the dinner bell is going to ring soon!  Each warmer, longer day we have will help usher in some of the best fishing that we will have all year long.





No comments:

Post a Comment