Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Why Don't More People Fly Fish for Crappie?


There are folks in this world (probably even you if you're reading this) that love to fly fish.  There MIGHT be more people (this could be you as well) out there that love to crappie fish.  Fly fishers are as passionate about their sport as crappie anglers.  Fly fishers love using tackle that has lighter action and is more delicate, just like crappie lovers.  Crappie fishers are loyal to certain sizes, colors, and locations.  So are fly fishers.  The rods, be it spinning or fly, are longer than other conventional tackle.  So why in the world has fly fishing not merged with crappie fishing?

I get that crappie fishing involves live bait, soft plastics, and deep depths at times.  However, the same could be said for trout fishing.  As a fly fisher, I can tie flies that have the same profile and contain the same colors.  In terms of depth, I can change the depth pretty easy on a strike indicator and with a longer leader, I can fish almost any depth that a crappie angler would want to fish at.  I've seen people tie their own crappie jigs that just happen to be bulked up version of mini jigs that I fish for trout at bluegill.  

The point that I'm trying to make is that crappie fishers and fly anglers aren't that different from one another.  The odd thing that I have noticed though is that you don't see a lot of crossover between the two, but there easily could be.  While I don't go out and target crappie, I have caught A LOT on a fly rod over the years simply on accident.  If I can do that on accident, I bet there are some folks out there that could diversify their crappie fishing experience with a fly rod.  I'm a firm believer that the more you know and understand about how to fish with different techniques, the more well-rounded and versatile angler you will be on the water.  So if you don't fly fish for crappie, why don't you?  Feel free to leave a comment in the section below.  I would love to see people's thoughts on the matter.




No comments:

Post a Comment