Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Tying a Clouser Minnow




Everyone has at least one fly or one technique that just seems to give them fits.  I have a friend that struggles with hackle.  I struggle with spinning deer hair.  I have another friend and despises dubbing.  I also struggle with one of the simplest flies in the world...the Clouser Minnow.  I always seem to use the wrong hair from the tail or get the proportions/lengths wrong.  I either get too much hair, or not enough.  the head of the fly either bunches up the eye of the hook or simply looks like a mess.  This video however has been really helpful and I'm getting better at tying this fly.

I've also been working on tying a variant of this fly.  It is not an original idea, but I can't remember where I first saw it either.  I haven't fished it yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how it behaves and whether it catches fish or not.  It sure looks good but then again, maybe it's better at catching fishers than it is at catching fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment