Friday, April 23, 2021

How to Fly Fish for Bass Videos

This weekend I will be hitting the water to do one of my favorite spring-time activities; fly fish for largemouth bass in farm ponds.  The takes are aggressive, the fights are intense, and it's just a lot of fun.  What a lot of people don't know is that yes, you can indeed fly fish for largemouth and smallmouth bass.  Smallies seem to get the bulk of the publicity in the fly fishing arena, but don't sleep on throwing flies for a hydrilla gorilla!  I have included a set of videos that should help you get start (if you're a newbie) or refine (if you're a veteran) your skills when it comes to chasing bassquatch.  I would be remiss if I didn't throw my two cents in terms of getting started.

I prefer to throw a six weight rod when chasing smaller flies for smaller fish and an eight weight rod when chasing bass that are two pounds or bigger or when throwing bigger flies.  I use a six to seven foot leader and usually use 10 pound leader.  I use fluorocarbon but I should probably switch to monofilament because it stretches less.  I prefer throwing streamers because I think they catch more.  I can't bring myself to dredge the bottom with a worm or crayfish imitation and I only fish topwater after the spawn and when the water is warm.  So that's my two cents but these folks know A LOT more than me so listen to them and take their advice if you are conflicted!  Have a great weekend, get out on the water, and go catch yourself a bucketmouth.

The New Fly Fisher
Episode 1- An Introduction


Episode 2- Advanced Tactics


Alvin Dedeaux- professional fishing guide
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment