Monday, April 12, 2021

How The Hybrid Striper Bite on Blue Springs Lake Turned Out

At least I snapped a nice picture of the spillway that leads from Lake Jacomo to Blue Springs Lake.

Not well.  It did not go well.  I got skunked.  Put up a goose egg.  Didn't catch a thing.  However, I think I know why and it is the bane for fly fishers around the world.  Wind.  Usually there is too much of it, but yesterday, there wasn't enough.

When my buddy Corey and I arrived at the lake, it didn't take long to see that there wasn't much wind.  What little wind there was, was actually coming from the correct direction, but there just wasn't enough of it.  To see why this wind was so important, feel free to click here and read about my formula from Friday's post but I can summarize it pretty quickly.  A southern wind on Blue Springs Lake means that waves will be crashing into the dam.  If that's what the wind is doing, then plankton would travel the same way and baitfish would be in tow.  I believe the hybrids follow the baitfish and push them into the rocks along the dam where they cannot escape and make for easier prey.  That simply did not set up on Sunday like I was hoping. 

It happens though.  Plans don't always work out and fish aren't always where you want them to be.  It's always nice to be outdoors with a fly rod in your hand.  However, this story isn't over.  I'll be keeping an eye on weather patters for the next couple of weeks and hopefully a better situation sets up and provides a better opportunity to catch some hybrid stripers.

No comments:

Post a Comment