Thursday, April 1, 2021

Topographical Map Website

Holy cow this site is addicting!  Let me first give credit to National Geographic Maps for creating this site and FlyLords Magazine for sharing it which is where I saw it first.  Now, lets get to what could very well consume the next 30 minutes to 30 hours of your life!

So National Geographic has created a site that allows the user to download topographical maps, which are in a a PDF format, and are created through the USGS.  When I first started playing around with the maps, I struggled a little until I read the directions.  (You would think a teacher would read the directions first, right?)  Once I got the hang of shift + click + drag combination, things got really interesting.  I was able to find locations easily because their names, labels, and points of reference.  What I found were landmarks and locations that I was unaware of.  For example, I have been visiting our family farm since I was born but I had no idea that there were both a Cottonwood Creek and a Crabapple Creek that were tributaries to the creek that runs through the property.  

Now, you might be wondering, how and where does fishing come in to play here?  Well, that's kind of up to you I guess.  You could use these maps to trace water to their headwaters.  You could cross-reference what you believed about elevations and landmarks.  You could use the maps to discover bodies of water that you didn't know existed.  Heck, you can just print these off for decoration or as a way to document places you have visited.  

Link: https://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads

Link to Original Fly Lords post: https://flylordsmag.com/nat-geo-launches-free-detailed-topo-map-website/?fbclid=IwAR2kv2itSycn5fmYPymlmOg2BFLoXrCBwcktt5Np7sqSOUsbuw2u_qWYxP8

No comments:

Post a Comment