Friday, April 9, 2021

The Hybrid Striper Bite on Blue Springs Lake is Shaping Up!

I recently looked at the weather for this weekend for the Blue Springs area and here is what I saw.

You might be wondering, why is this relevant?  Well let me tell you friends, that this just might (and I stress MIGHT) be the best fishing that I could experience all year long!  No, that is NOT an exaggeration!  Before I spill all the details on the floor like Hooper spilled the guts of that tiger shark in Jaws (fast forward to 4:00 in the video to get the reference), you first need to know that I am not the curator of this information.  That would be Luke Langton.  Yes, the Luke Langton that recently wrote a book about flies to use for white bass, hybrid striped bass, and striped bass.  Here's a link to a post about Luke and his book.



Here is what Luke taught me about fishing for hybrid striped bass on Blue Springs Lake.  If you are able to check three boxes, you have a chance to get into some wipers by merely standing on the dam of the lake.

  1. It is either raining or has recently rained.
  2. The wind is out of the south.
  3. It is the month of April.
Is this a fool-proof plan?  No it is not, but it sure sets up the right conditions for a good bite.  I have had the fortune to catch a number of wipers by following this formula and two of them were 8 pounds.  One of them was larger and broke my line at the fly line-backing connection!  So what I am trying to say is that I'm going to hit Blue Springs Lake this Sunday with the hopes of hooking into a big, angry hybrid striped bass.  

Now this is not for the faint of heart.  I will be spending my time casting an eight weight into the wind with as much force and I can muster!  Walking to the water's edge along large, slippery boulders is difficult as well.  Couple that with the fact that I am going to lose a few flies in the rocks (both in front of and behind me) and it isn't a lot of fun...unless you get into some wipers.  I will write a follow-up post about the experience but for now, optimism is soaring and I just might lose some sleep Saturday night.  Here's a couple of pictures to properly communicate what I will be chasing!







No comments:

Post a Comment