Friday, April 2, 2021

Zebra Midge on a Jig Hook

While scrolling through Instagram the other day, I ran across an interesting spin on a zebra midge fly.  It was tied on a jig-style hook which I had never seen before.  I say jig-style hook because it was a barbless hook that resembled a scud hook with a bead on the end and a down-turned eye.  Rather than me talking in circles, here is a picture.



This got me thinking.  First of all, I have had a lot of success with fishing zebra midges on Lake Taneycomo so I have some confidence in them.  Second, I like to fish jigs under indicators because of their sink rate.  After putting those puzzle pieces together, I arrived at idea of tying a zebra midge onto an actual 1/80 ounce, size 10 jig hook.  I think things turned out pretty well but there are some pros and cons to weigh here.  The size and profile are a little off.  On the other hand, this thing is going to sink like a stone and could be a great lead fly on a tandem rig.  I think I definitely need to use thinner thread and I'm not sure what I think about the peacock collar.

So now I need some feedback from some savy trout fisherman.  What do you think?  Is this lunacy?  Does this fly have promise/potential?  Is it just not quite realistic enough?  I don't get down to Taneycomo or other trout streams as much as I would like so any input would help me decide if I should tie some more of these or put them in the box of shame.






No comments:

Post a Comment