Monday, December 19, 2022

Clouser Minnows- Less is More


Yesterday, I tied a few clouser minnows.  I tied them in shad colors with gray on top and white underneath.  Everything started off well and the flies were looking good.  Slowly, and almost on some sort of subconscious level, they started to get...off.  The noses/heads started to get larger.  The eyes of the hooks started to get closed with thread.  It took me a minute to figure out why things were going south and then it dawned on me.  My proportions were becoming skewed a little with each fly.  Specifically, I was trying to bulk up and beef up each fly a little bit more.  

My thinking was that a bigger meal is what fish might want.  I think, most of the time, fish that are feeding on minnows would rather eat one bigger meal rather than two small ones.  As a result of my bucktail increase, my flies were slowly looking worse and worse with each completed version.  So if you're tying clousers this season, please remember the rule that I had to be reminded of and learn the hard way.  With a clouser, less (bucktail) is more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment