Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Custom Salmon Fly Order Completed


As promised yesterday, we are back to fly fishing!  As I mentioned last week in a couple of posts that you can read here and here, I received a custom order of flies from a friend of mine.  The order was for some silver salmon flies that are going to be headed up to Alaska.  I had never tied flies for silver salmon before so I had to do some research prior to whipping up some flies.  I was looking for effective patterns that could be used in different ways and for different species.  I also looked for flies that I had the skills to tie.  I ended up settling on wooly buggers, clousers, egg sucking leeches and Dolly Llamas.  The Dolly Llamas were unlike anything that I had ever tied before and were a lot of fun.  This fly involves a sacrificial hook in the front, braid that leads to an octopus hook, and some free flowing flash and rabbit strips.  Everything turned out really well and I hope these flies lead to some good fish being landed!



No comments:

Post a Comment