Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Lefty’s Deceiver- My Second Attempt...



...because you sure as heck aren't going to see my first attempt!  That sucker was UGLY and good gracious did I learn a lesson last night.  I had forgotten how hard it was to learn a new fly pattern.  Admittedly, I have been tying the same patterns for almost the last year because those things work for me.  However, I wanted to push myself to get out of my comfort zone and work with some new materials and techniques.  Specifically, I wanted a fly with a schlappen tail, buck tail, and the type that was meant to fished on a sinking line.  I didn't want a heavy fly but I didn't want to fish it topwater either.  This fly is light but on my new sink tip line, it will get down.

I am really excited to see how this thing behaves in the water.  While I didn't make any substitutions with my fly, I did change the color scheme.  In his video, Ryan went with a white and pink combo.  I have a lot of white and chartreuse buck tail and that's what the original color scheme was for the original Lefty's Deceiver...at least I think so.  I also went with a 3D printed fish skull that a former student of mine made for me a few years ago.  While it is not a name-brand component, it will work for my learning curve that I am going through and will save me some money.  Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my second fly and I could tell how much better and faster I got on my second fly.  I was also reminded that it is important to push yourself and try new things.  It might be frustrating at times but most things that are rewarding come from struggle.  


I moved the feathers around a little bit just to show the combination that I used.



No comments:

Post a Comment