Friday, December 9, 2022

Fly Fishing for White Bass


I’ve got an idea. I’ve been kicking it around for a little while, but that’s me. When I have an idea that I think is pretty good, I give it a week or two to mull over and decide if it has merit. I’m just a cautious person that doesn’t like to make mistakes and/or look stupid. My idea centers around white bass.

First of all, I am not a white bass expert. I’ve caught a few in my life and I know that I am in love with this species. They school up so if you find them, you’re going to catch s few of them. They are fighters! They will pull above their weight class. They will readily eat flies and specifically, streamers. They have some pretty epic spawning runs that can produce some memorable days. If none of what I just mentioned gets your blood pumping, then we are on different pages. 

I have made it fairly well known on this blog that I want to become a fly fishing guide on Lake Taneycomo. Best case scenario, that is about a decade away. I’m thinking that maybe, in the meantime, I could do some guiding around Kansas City. White bass seem like an overlooked species for fly fishing and could be a great fish to target. Largemouth can be picky. Bluegill and crappie are a little boring. White bass however might be worth dedicating some time towards. On top of everything, their populations in the area are strong and I hear they taste good too…if you’re in to eating fish…which I am not…but if your are, then that’s another positive!

So I'm going to start learning more about white bass and hopefully start fishing for them more.  Like Captain Quint, I'm going to need a bigger boat but I figure I can load up with knowledge first and then apply it when the time is right.  If you're interested in learning more about white bass, I have included some links below.  This is a great time of year to learn some information, set some goals, and make yourself a better angler since fishing opportunities are limited right now.  

Links: 





No comments:

Post a Comment