Thursday, December 15, 2022

Done with Deer Season Taxidermy


Last night, I finished up preserving the tail and antlers from the buck I shot this past deer season. It’s nice to be ready to hang the antlers on the wall and start cranking out flies with the tail. On the other hand, it’s sad to be done with the season.  Deer season has a special place in my heart.  Deer hunting is full of low points that keep you from sleeping and high points that will stay in your mind for the rest of your life.  The anticipation of deer season gets my blood pumping but the fact that there are 11 months to wait until the next deer season is a bummer.  

I only rifle hunt and while I could bow hunt or use a muzzleloader, rifle hunting is what I am good at, what I have the equipment for, and what I know how to do.  I prefer to stick to rifle season because I know what I am doing and have confidence in what I currently do.  I also believe that my wife might leave me if I picked up more hobbies and passions.  So now is the time when I transition into fly tying season and this bucktail is going to get used...quickly!  If you have never preserved a bucktail to tie flies with, it is incredibly simple.  I have included a video below that shows just how easy it is.  


Against the Stream YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@againstthestream6837




No comments:

Post a Comment